- The term "we" or "us" means HERO.
- The term "you" means a current or former HERO member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an HERO product or service (e.g. a person who has purchased a book from the HERO Professional Library or a person who subscribes to an HERO-produced electronic newsletter).
- The term "personal information" means any piece of information that on its own can specifically identify a current or former HERO member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a HERO product or service. This would include, but is not limited to, full name, postal address, e-mail address, social security number, or financial information.
- The term "HERO website" means HERO's external website located at: ILFacultyResources.org and any future websites that we may develop.
- The term "HERO-related organizations" means any other entity created by HERO.
- The term "third party" means a legal entity that is separate and independent from HERO, its state and local affiliates, or any HERO-related organization.
- The term "cookie" means a small file that is placed on your computer that allows a website to store, and sometimes track, information about how you use that website.
- The term "discussion forum" means an asynchronous website component that enables users to exchange ideas by posting questions and answers on relevant subjects. Discussion forums are also commonly referred to as "discussion groups," "discussion boards," "message boards," "bulletin boards," and "online forums."
III. Personal Information Collected
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us on your membership application and other HERO forms — whether online via the HERO website or offline via traditional, hard copy forms (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
- Other Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us via the HERO website (such as an e-mail address if you subscribe to an HERO-produced electronic newsletter or other personal information contained in an e-mail that you send to us via the feedback feature of the HERO website).
- Personal Information that we receive from our state and local affiliates or other HERO-related organizations (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
- Personal Information that we receive from third parties.
IV. How We Use That Information
The personal information that HERO collects about you helps us and our state and local affiliates and HERO-related organizations to efficiently and effectively represent you and provide you with valuable member benefits.
V. Information Sharing
In order to provide you with efficient and effective representation and member benefits, we routinely share all of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with our state and local affiliates and HERO-related organizations, as well as third parties that perform services on our behalf.
Additionally, we may share any of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with certain third parties that share our interests or as otherwise permitted by law.
VI. Available Choices
Any personal information that you provide to us is voluntary. HERO members may update their personal information at any time. For information on how to contact us, please visit the HERO website at: http://www.ilfacultyresources.org.
If you subscribe to any HERO-produced electronic newsletter, you may cancel your subscription at any time by following the instructions at the bottom of all such newsletters. If you have any problems canceling such a subscription, please contact us.
VII. Your Illinois Privacy Rights
Illinois residents have a right under state law to ask entities with whom they have an established business relationship to provide certain information regarding the sharing of personal information for direct marketing purposes during the past year. HERO will honor such a request coming from any current or former HEROmember or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an HERO product or service—whether residing in Illinois or not. Simply submit a request to us at the following address:email@example.com to request a copy of the HERO Information Security Program.
IX. Additional Information for Users of the HERO Web Site
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you use the HERO website, you provide us with certain non-personal information in addition to any personal information that you may voluntarily provide. For example, if you browse the HERO website or download information, our operating system automatically records the following non-personal information:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service (such as "xcompany.com" or "xcompany.net" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourcollege.edu" if you connect from a college or university domain);
- The type of browser that you use (such as "America Online version 7" or "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5");
- The type of operating system that you use (such as Windows or Macintosh);
- The date and time that you visit the HERO website and the webpages that you view;
- The address of the previous website that you visited if you linked to us from another website; and
- The address of the next website that you visit if you link to it from the HERO website.
We use the above non-personal information to diagnose technical problems and track user interests so that we can provide content that interests you.
We gather this non-personal information in the aggregate and we share it in the same manner that we share personal information, as described in Section V above.
If you participate in a discussion forum on the NEA website or NEA Intranet, your comments, along with any personal information that you voluntarily disclose, may be collected, used, and shared by anyone with access to that forum. We are not responsible for the personal information that you choose to submit in a discussion forum.
The HERO website are general websites, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13.